Healthcare has always been a key election issue especially with incumbent decisions regarding COVID-19, abortion, and Obamacare.
President Donald Trump
Supports free COVID-19 testing
- The Trump administration has faced significant backlash for its delayed COVID-19 response
- Made COVID-19 testing free
- Has made repeated calls to reduce COVID-19 testing, and made comparisons of the disease with the flu - both of which have been criticized by healthcare experts
- Promised to develop a COVID-19 vaccine by the end of 2020
Does not support Obamacare
- Asked the Supreme Court to repeal the Affordable Care Act
- Rolled back the individual mandate which was part of the ACA, eliminating the tax penalty for not having health coverage.
- 2018: The Trump administration offered Americans cheaper one-year policies, under which insurers can charge higher premiums or deny coverage based on medical history
- In the last Presidential debate, Trump promised to come up with a new plan that would cover people with pre-existing health conditions.
Does not support the WHO
- Has terminated relations with the WHO claiming that the organization aided China in covering up the origin and spread of COVID-19. This move impacts several developing countries as the WHO receives a majority of its funds from the US.
- Won’t join a global effort to develop and equitably distribute a coronavirus vaccine as it is co-led by the WHO
Signed executive orders to lower drug prices
- Signed an executive order to ensure Americans pay drug prices that match the lowest price paid by other developed countries
- Ordered health centres to provide insulin to low-income Americans at discounted prices at which they receive the drugs from pharmaceutical companies
- Allowed importation of drugs from foreign countries
Wants to take measures to fight the opioid crisis
- Implemented a plan that cut opioid prescription fills by one-third within three years
- Developed partnerships between government agencies to educate young adults about the dangers of misusing opioids
- Provided federal agencies and states funding for addiction treatment
Does not support abortion
- Has appointed conservative judges that could potentially overturn Roe v. Wade which safeguards a women’s right to abortion
- Banned clinics that promote abortions from receiving tax money
- Barred federal money going to foreign organisations that educate about or perform abortions
- Required insurance providers to give a special bill to consumers whose plans cover abortions. This is expected to make it difficult to receive coverage for abortions.
Former VP Joe Biden
Supports free COVID-19 testing and wants to expand testing measures
- Plans to double the number of drive-through testing sites.
- Plans to invest in home tests and instant tests to scale up testing capacities
- Intends on making masks and social distancing mandates stricter by working with governors and mayors
Biden proposes 'Bidencare', supports Obamacare Act and wants to expand it
- Biden said he would pass Obamacare with a public health insurance option, referring to his plan as “Bidencare.”
- Biden wants to lower the eligibility age for Medicare to 60 from 65 which would potentially extend Medicare to over 20 million more Americans.
- Wants to introduce a plan that reduces healthcare costs and covers primary care without co-payments
- His healthcare plan will provide middle class families a premium tax credit to help pay for coverage.
- He will end surprise billing by healthcare providers in cases of hospitalization
- Biden stated that he will reverse Trump’s withdrawal from WHO on his first day as the President
Will work towards reducing drug prices
- Will repeal the exception that allows drug corporations to avoid negotiating with Medicare over drug prices. This exception allows corporations to charge high prices.
- As President, he will establish an independent review board that will recommend reasonable prices for American drugs without competitors.
- This reasonable price will be the rate Medicare and the public healthcare option will pay.
- Biden will allow Americans to buy prescription drugs from other countries
Supports abortion rights
- Wants to pass a federal law that protects women's abortions rights. This would mean that even if the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, abortion rights would still exist.
- Dropped support for the Hyde Amendment which blocks federal funding for abortion except in cases of rape, incest, or danger to mother's life.
Will direct more funds towards drug addiction treatment to fight opioid crisis
- Will dedicate $125 billion over 10 years to scale up drug addiction treatment
- Will take steps to stop the overprescription of opioid painkillers while encouraging better care for chronic pain
- Wants to slow the flow of illicit drugs from China and Mexico
Check out our app for more 👇